Friday, June 15, 2012

A MEDIUM'S CONFESSION


A few days ago I received an email from a client thanking me for her channeling session. It was her first experience with a Medium. This particular individual was deeply moved by the messages from her Master Guide, and said something that I have often heard clients say. She voiced her desire to contact her Guides directly, and wished she could ‘connect as easily’ as I do.

There is an assumption that I have some extra special ability that they lack. Ironically, those whom know me well probably heard me refer to myself as “the reluctant medium”.  In other words, I came to the work I have been doing for 28 years, kicking and screaming. My singular ambition in this life was, and generally still is, to express myself as an artist. And I most certainly do not think of myself as having a special gift. Channeling Spirit Guides is just something I do, to the very best of my ability.

When I decided to leave my full time, and very demanding job as an Art Director for an Art Magazine (Art & Auction Magazine -- Google it), the idea of being a free agent had great appeal to me. I worked briefly as a freelance graphic artist, and collected unemployment between jobs. Once a week, I attended a mediumship class in New York City with Alexander Murray, an accomplished Medium and teacher.

I was being guided to do this work. That was clear. Secretly, however, I was mostly interested because it liberated me from the grueling schedule of a full-time job (not to mention the many late overtime hours and deadlines that a magazine required). I felt disempowered and no longer desired to do work that wasn’t authentically my own.

Deep down I knew I would be doing good work that would bring wisdom, support, and comfort to many. But my willingness to develop this gift was not motivated by the noblest aspirations. I just wanted to be free, and I didn’t want to do anything that impoverished my soul. So it seemed a fair, albeit peculiar, exchange.

Often I have thought that this reluctance is partly why my work has evolved, thrived, and helped many. I do not identify with being a Channel. I have always seen it as my job, and approached it with the same commitment and dedication I would any occupation. I was raised with the hardworking New York work ethic instilled in me from childhood. As a third generation American, I was aware that my Great-Grandparents came from Europe on a boat to a new land, language, and culture. They worked hard and made a good life for themselves. 

Don’t get me wrong; channeling is a great service, and there are countless blessings in being given this opportunity. Not putting my ego in the mix, however, seems to be what has enabled me to remain unadulterated.  

This is why I am surprised whenever someone looks to me as if I had some extra special access to the higher dimensions. I don’t. I’m just doing the work that I’ve been given to do. With a little effort and commitment, anybody can, too.


5 comments:

  1. Asandra- nice post. I relate to this as an artist and teacher. I wish to express myself through painting but, I am always called back to teaching. Yes, we must follow our "guided path."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, Anita. Fortunately, each informs and inspires the other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relating, nice post. As a writer, I enjoy the craft, but helping others pulls on my heart and soul. And as you said, one informs and inspires the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I have to disagree with you. You are so talented that you do not realise how good (great) you are. Like a chess grandmaster has a special talent to play chess and no matter how much time and effort I put in to I cannot defeat him. You have to be born with it.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I humbly thank you for your comment, Jerry.

      Delete